Friday, January 6, 2012

Crêpes

I fell in love with Molly Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook. I literally read it cover to cover, it was so inspiring and all of the recipes sound very healthy and most have options for lowering fat content.
Among these wonderful recipes was a very simple recipe for crêpes, which was exciting for me because I have always been a little intimidated by the idea of making crêpes but I've always wanted to make them. I tried a few years ago but found it difficult to keep them from sticking to the pan.
This recipe is literally a whiz as it's made in the blender in about 2 seconds. I tried using my new KitchenAid, but the blades of my food processor got rid of the lumps like magic, transforming it into silky smooth batter instantly.


I made Molly Katzen's recipe for my family for breakfast this week and set up a little station of melted chocolate, whipped cream, cinnamon sugar, butter and this great lingonberry sauce that my godmother Suyin and my friend Melody gave me as part of my birthday basket of goodies. The tart berry sauce was divine with the chocolate, even competing with my favorite toppings which are butter, lemon juice and sugar(=the best).


Jordan helping himself at the crêpe station.

Chocolate and lingonberry sauce.




My boyfriend Max gave me this awesome crêpe pan for Christmas and it worked perfectly when I made this recipe!
Moosewood Crêpes (find Katzen's book in my books section.)
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup milk (use low-fat or rice milk as a healthier alternative)
1/4 tsp salt
Pour into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Heat a nonstick pan on the stove until a drop of water sizzles instantly. Brush very lightly with oil over every surface of the pan. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter and swirl around to coat pan (the amount may vary, I made larger crêpes so I ended up using about 3/8 cup of batter for each). Pour any excess back into the bowl of batter. Let heat about 20 seconds, until cooked and even lightly browned if you like then flip and let the other side cook for a few seconds. Stack on a plate (they won't stick together). Serve with any variety of sweet and savory toppings!
It's so simple isn't it? What a genius recipe, I am officially in love with this book.
Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment