Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lemon Hummingbird Cookies

Today my mom officially adopted me at the courthouse, which is funny because I am leaving in a week for college! But better late than never! (:
She loves hummingbirds and I like them too, so I made these lemon hummingbird cookies. I adapted the recipe from this awesome book called Paris Patisseries. The book is real eye candy, just gorgeous photographs of famous patissier's creations in Paris. Find it in my books section.


Big turnout from the family (+Max)


Silly balloons my aunt brought.


Lemon Shortbread Cookies
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup + 2 tbs butter, unsalted and softened to room temperature
1 pinch of salt
the zest of a lemon
the zest of a small orange

Blend the sugar, butter and zests together. Add the salt and flour and mix. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
Preheat oven to 350F. Prep three cookie sheets with parchment. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface (it may be crumbly and need to be warmed a little with kneading) to 1/2" thickness or so. Flour the top lightly and begin to punch out your shapes. Place the cookies on the sheets with a little room around them, they don't expand much but they do puff up. Bake until light gold.
Let cool, then drizzle with icing and sugar. I made my icing by adding a little bit of lemon juice and water to a couple cups of powdered sugar, then drizzled it with my fingers over the cookies. Then my boyfriend helped by sprinkling the sugar over the top! (:
C'est fini! Bon appetit mes amis! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment