Sunday, November 27, 2011

My First Ever Daring Baker's Challenge!:Sans Rival Cake


Catherine of Munchie Musings was our November Daring Bakers’ host and she challenged us to make a traditional Filipino dessert – the delicious Sans Rival cake! And for those of us who wanted to try an additional Filipino dessert, Catherine also gave us a bonus recipe for Bibingka which comes from her friend Jun of Jun-blog. This is my first time doing a challenge from the Daring Kitchen and it has been really fun!
The Sans Rival cake is a dacquoise with a custard-y frosting. It was really tasty! I made mine chocolate with cashews and my French Buttercream was vanilla. You're supposed to decorate the cake with crushed nuts, but my lovely father ate my remaining cashews, so I hope it's not a problem that I substituted some sprinkles (:

I decorated the edges with buttercream and made the design on the top using a warm fork.

You can really see the chunks of cashew inside the dacquoise layers.


The Bibingka were light, fluffy cupcake-like confections. They got a little green from the banana leaves and this gave the cakes a delicious, green-tea kind of flavor. Really yummy!
Jordan helping me butter the banana leaves with a pastry brush. Serious work!

Little ramekins.
Against a banana-leaf background. It got a little dark, so I took new pictures the next day.

You can see the green layer inside the ramekin, stained by the banana leaves.

Take two on the photoshoot, the next morning.

Delicious!

I had so much fun doing this challenge and look forward to many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment